This position reports to the Director of Design and is responsible for creating compelling user interfaces that are appropriate for our diverse types of customers. Collaborate with product designers, product managers, frontend developers, and cross-functional members to propose solutions to complex user-centered design problems.
A successful product designer clearly articulates and presents design decisions and thrives in a work environment that requires strong problem solving skills and independent self-direction, coupled with building trust and strong team relationships. This position is also suited for individuals who excel at providing both highly analytical as well as highly creative ideas to solve complex, task-based workflow problems. A thorough understanding of contemporary user-centered research and design methodologies is a must.
- Executing interaction and user experience design as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Work with product managers, end-users, and others to deeply understand the problems a new feature or product are intended to solve
- Create prototypes and proofs of concept to explore design ideas, support usability testing and obtain buy-in
- Plan and conduct user research, including surveys, interviews and usability tests to measure user reaction and user clarity
- Validate and understand design changes made as part of a rapid-iteration process and multi-disciplinary team
- Assist technical product managers with requirements gathering and visual mock-ups
- Work iteratively with agile teams to deliver a user experience that’s within scope and budget
- Research technology and interaction design trends; and make recommendations that balance business needs, customer needs and technological capabilities when designing the user-facing aspects of features and/or enhancements.
- Act as the user advocate, creating innovative design solutions that support customer needs and builds user confidence and adoption across our products
- Be a positive and champion voice for our company products, services and tools
- Work directly with frontend and full-stack developers as part of a cross-functional team to implement new products and user interfaces.
Skills & Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Graphic Design, Computer Science, Human Computer Interaction, related field or equivalent work experience
- 2 years of solid product design experience
- Ability to present cohesive design approaches to a non-design audience (including business, product and technology teams)
- Candidates must have a solid understanding of user-centered design principles, careful attention to detail, as well as ability to grasp multiple product requirements
- Ability to create information architecture diagrams, wireframes, prototypes and screen flows
- Adapt and adjust to change in a positive manner that positively influences others and provides positive forward progress for peers and the company
- Ability to prioritize and manage work to adhere to critical project timelines in a fast- paced environment
- The ability to work in an agile, creative, quick-paced and collaborative environment
- Borderline OCD with your attention to detail and organizational skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Must be able to travel at least 2 to 3 times a year; mostly in North America
NGP VAN is the world’s leading political technology firm, providing campaign and organizing technology to Democrats, progressives, and non-partisan organizations. We offer an integrated platform that combines the best fundraising, compliance, organizing, and digital products available.
Our company built the voter contact and volunteer management tools used by Obama for America. Nearly every State Democratic Party in the United States distributes our VoteBuilder tools to Democrats up and down the ticket, and we provide industry-leading organizing tools that enable labor unions, environmental groups, pro-choice advocates, civil rights activists, and progressive political parties to win their campaigns around the world. Our fundraising and compliance software is used by the majority of Democrats from the Presidential level on down, and our fast-growing digital platform has become the most-used toolset for Democratic campaigns as well.
NGP VAN has been recognized as one of the fastest growing companies in America by Inc. Magazine for seven years in a row, and one of the top 50 fastest growing companies in the DC area by both the Washington Business Journal and SmartCEO. We are a successful and growing company that cares about our employees’ career advancement. NGP VAN is an open-minded, flexible workplace that values learning and contributions of many different kinds.
The position offers competitive compensation and a strong benefits package. NGP VAN prides itself on being a progressive workplace; we have a fun and inclusive company culture, where we value teamwork, professional development, and work-life balance. We have your usual tech company perks whether you are a veteran or just getting started in your career, including relaxing (often) and winning (occasionally) on a softball field, happy hour in the office on Fridays, generous parental leave, enjoying periodic company retreats to warm places with beaches, and casual Friday every day.