The HTML/CSS Engineer is a member of the Unified Design Team, a team that works across the entire product suite to unify and modernize product designs. This person plays a technical role on the UDT, working with product managers, product designers, and other HTML/CSS engineers to build new and improve existing frontend features. The HTML/CSS Engineer has a deep skill-set in HTML5, CSS3 and other modern web technologies. HTML/CSS Engineers evangelize best practices around quality, performance, and stability of front-end code.
- Create rich product experiences that merge with back-end components primarily using HTML5 & CSS3, Sass, and similar modern technologies
- Collaborate with backend developers to ensure the integrity of the user interface from design to deployment
- Help develop UI pattern library (ProgressUI) for use across our product suite
- Evangelize design guidelines and patterns to create a cohesive, unified look and feel across all of our products (including under the hood)
- Improve the quality, performance, and stability of front-end code
- Fix frontend bugs as they are found
Skills & Requirements
- Well versed in the principles of responsive web design, CSS transitions, and use of SVGs
- Experience working with JS libraries such as AngularJS, Bootstrap, Node.js, jQuery
- Knowledge of current UI best practices, and ability to stay on top of new ones
- A sharp attention to detail and dedication to cross-browser compatibility
- Preference for delivering simple solutions to difficult design challenges
- Possess a strong understanding of all stages of agile product development, including design processes for enterprise-level applications
- Disciplined, accountable and a team player. We need you to work efficiently, prioritize, context switch and work well in a team that likes working with you
- Excellent internal and external communication (both written and verbal)
- Have the ability to manage multiple projects at any given time
- Ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of people under pressure
- Strong technical aptitude. Demonstrate the ability to understand the consequences, both to the business and the user experience, of technical decisions
- Desire to embrace and push organizational change around UI/frontend code
- Experience with Github and Git processes
NGP VAN is the world’s leading political technology firm, providing campaign and organizing technology to Democrats, progressives, and non-partisan organizations. We offer an integrated platform that combines the best fundraising, compliance, organizing, and digital products available.
Our company built the voter contact and volunteer management tools used by Obama for America. Nearly every State Democratic Party in the United States distributes our VoteBuilder tools to Democrats up and down the ticket, and we provide industry-leading organizing tools that enable labor unions, environmental groups, pro-choice advocates, civil rights activists, and progressive political parties to win their campaigns around the world. Our fundraising and compliance software is used by the majority of Democrats from the Presidential level on down, and our fast-growing digital platform has become the most-used toolset for Democratic campaigns as well.
NGP VAN has been recognized as one of the fastest growing companies in America by Inc. Magazine for seven years in a row, and one of the top 50 fastest growing companies in the DC area by both the Washington Business Journal and SmartCEO. We are a successful and growing company that cares about our employees’ career advancement. NGP VAN is an open-minded, flexible workplace that values learning and contributions of many different kinds.
The position offers competitive compensation and a strong benefits package. NGP VAN prides itself on being a progressive workplace; we have a fun and inclusive company culture, where we value teamwork, professional development, and work-life balance. We have your usual tech company perks whether you are a veteran or just getting started in your career, including relaxing (often) and winning (occasionally) on a softball field, happy hour in the office on Fridays, generous parental leave, enjoying periodic company retreats to warm places with beaches, and casual Friday every day.